Cities are evolving at an unprecedented pace, driven by rapid technological advancements. The need for a deeper understanding of how Artificial Intelligence can shape urban life has never been more critical. Recognizing this imperative, in autumn 2022, Paris-based think tank Urban AI and Cornell Tech’s Jacobs Urban Tech Hub partnered on an exploration of trends, applications, and anxieties around how AI is being used to manage, plan, and govern cities around the world.
Following the success of this inaugural season of The Future of Urban AI, we are thrilled to introduce the second season, poised to delve even deeper into the realms of urban Artificial Intelligence. Beginning on October 4, 2023 with an exploration of how generative AI is being harnessed for participatory planning with Damiano Cerrone of Helsinki-based UrbanistAI, eight webinars will continue our exploration of how AI is shaping the future of urban tech, drawing on Cornell Tech’s Future of Urban Tech Horizon Scan as our roadmap. Additional conversations bring together a diverse panel of pioneering international experts in urban robotics, urban sensing, digital twins, and the geopolitics of urban AI.
- October 4th : “Toward Participatory Planning” with Damiano Cerrone (Co-founder, UrbanistAI)
- October 11th : “Trustworthy Cartography” with Alexander Kamenev (CEO, Aino.World)
- October 18th : “Self-Repairing Cities” with Taras Wankewycs (Founder and CEO, H3 Dynamics)
- October 24th : “Software-defined Sensing” with Charlie Catlett (Senior Computer Scientist, Argonne National Laboratory)
- November 1st : “Anticipatory Government” with Naysan Saran (CEO, CANN Forecast)
- November 8th: “Reimagining Offices” with Davide Schaumann (Director, Intelligent Place Lab Technion)
- November 15th: “Decolonizing Smart Cities” with Soledad Guilera (Professor, School of Government, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella)
All webinars will be held on Zoom. Full details and registration are available at www.urban.tech.cornell.edu/events
About the Organizers
Urban AI is a Paris-based think tank dedicated to the emerging field of “Urban Artificial Intelligence.” Urban AI seeks to generate a holistic body of knowledge on urban artificial intelligence by federating and collaborating with a growing, global community of researchers, public servants, start-ups, and urban subject matter experts, who work at the intersection of cities and technology. Together, we carry out multidisciplinary projects to better understand and assess the impacts of artificial intelligence on urban life and vice versa.
The Jacobs Technion-Cornell Institute- Urban Tech Hub fosters radical experimentation at the intersection of research, education, and entrepreneurship. Established jointly by Cornell University and the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, their mission is to transform key industries through technological innovation, deep-tech startups, and uniquely skilled talent.